the things they say about him

musings of a sexual libertine

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

amy winehouse

uh-oh spaghetti o's - i'm biting another buddy's post. drub, the bastard, beat me to the punch. so click on over and read his post.

and if you didn't click through - he did a write up about a singer from the u.k. who is receiving an increasing amount of press (and props) lately - amy winehouse.

and you know what? she deserves all the press - she's fucking amazing.

her album - "back to black" - is one of the best albums i've heard in forever. you know how when you buy a album (even of an artist you really dig) - and there's a big chance at least half of the content is filler or b-sides? (yeah - you know what i'm talking about.) no such case here. no fluff. no shitty song stuck between two awesome ones. no front-loading the cd with good songs and sticking the crappier songs in the second half. it's aural perfection from first song to last. she kills it every time.

go and listen. play her lead song (and current single), "rehab". or "you know i'm no good". or the title track. you can't stop listening. despite being 23 - she has the type of voice that knows shit. better - she knows your shit. and both her singning and song production has this incredible fusion of genres and time periods.

and if this sounds like (obviously figurative) dick-stroking, then i cop to it. it's that crazy good.

go buy it. right now.

10 Comments:

Blogger raven said...

Dude this is why I fucking love you. She's totally fucking amazing. Her voice is like a cage match between Dionne Warwick and Shirley Bassey both hopped up on cocaine, cigarettes and bourbon. What's even better... like ever great artist she is a train wreck as a person. I hope she doesn't lose her boozey/drug edge because then she'll be like every other "singer" out there. It truly is the best album I've heard since my freshman college roommate introduced me to PJ Harvey. Or wait, scratch that... probably since Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose. Funny she sang a lot about booze and tragic love on that album too.

4/10/2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger Usman said...

my favourite song is "rehab" from it.

4/11/2007 7:41 PM  
Blogger Jesse Archer said...

I heard that song "rehab" and thought it was from the 60's. Reminded me of Peggy Lee's "Is that all there is?"-- thanks for the introduction!
xxx

4/12/2007 1:02 PM  
Blogger MirosO said...

yah , she is amazing im happy she is finally being known in the USA.....she came out back in 2003 with her 1st album awesome now this one GOSH ..hard to describe but she rules...i got all her music all she has i have lol ...if you ever need a copy let me know :)

4/13/2007 11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except I still curse you every time I try to chew one of those damn awful sticks of lemon/lime orbit gum you raved about. Can I really trust you on this?

4/13/2007 1:45 PM  
Blogger libertine di homo said...

bosie - i may take you up on that. i've been thinking about picking up a copy of her first album - "frank". thanks for offering - mighty kind of ya.

"Can I really trust you on this?"

rick, you wound me. you hate orbit gum and doubt my word? this all sounds very suspect. ;) in addition to being a fantastic lay, i am one of the most honest guys you will meet. i mean, i write about my rampant promiscuity and drug use. can't get more honest than that. ;-)

(and if any law enforcement officers are reading this - then i'm totally kidding. hah-ha.)

but to everyone's comments on amy winehouse - yeah, i concur on every point made. she's coming to lollapalooza this summer and my ass is so there.

4/13/2007 10:40 PM  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Totally love Amy Winehouse. Her CD has been in my car and in my iPod for two weeks now. And no sign of abating. She's amazing.

4/15/2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK OK I may have doubted you but after trying Target, Best Buy and Circuit City (all this morning) - I *finally* got the CD at Border's today (that's a busy morning for Litchfield County). Driving, top down, back up to the house I had it up loud, then LOUDER. She kicks ass. Awesome way to begin the summer music season. Thank you and I repent.

I still can not deal with that lemon lime Orbit....

4/21/2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Mark Floyd-Thaut said...

Go check out her 2003 album called Frank. Just as amazing. Also she has about four single EP's that have at least 2-3 unreleased songs on them.

6/26/2007 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

any updates? hope all is well!

7/07/2007 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home